Sunday, May 24, 2009

Home From The Nursery.

Er... Home from the local PC Shop, no diapers required.

The very first thing I did after removing my baby from the box was make sure everything was in place, with no loose parts. Then I opened up the case, a standard ATX case with four external bays, well six counting the two little 2.5" bays.

There is enough room for about three HD's if you really cram em' in there. I wouldn't suggest that in this case because it's not very well designed as far as airflow is concerned.

No thumbscrews on this case, you need a screwdriver to open it up. In fact you need one to do anything in this no frills case. I couldn't even find out who made it. I don't think it was listed on the box. So we'll just call it a "Generic" case. I'm still using it, but I made a custom side panel and added several fans, and accessories over the years.

I had a lot of fans laying around, but not one that would fit my S3 Video Card... which only had a heatsink on it. I used it that way for about two years without any problems. Not related to heat anyway.

There's a spot in the front of the case for an 80mm fan, and a similar spot in the rear. So I automatically installed those. I didn't do that right away though. I wanted to boot her up!

Everything had been secured inside and nothing was out of place. I know a lot of people that will not open up a brand new PC for fear of voiding the warranty or messin' something up. Sometimes things come loose during shipping or were never connected properly at the factory.

It's a good idea to open up a new machine and check things before pushing that button for the first time. At least I think so.

A few minutes later I was pushing the start button to bring her to life! I was so excited :)

No comments: